How to make ultra-distorted witchhouse like this?

Production, hardware & technical - tips and tricks.
Hollowhands

How to make ultra-distorted witchhouse like this?

Post Posted

This is my favorite genre and I'd love nothing more than to make it myself. I can tell the instruments are extremely bitcrushed, but there's a distinct sound to the leads among multiple artists, and that's what I'm trying to achieve.

Is there a specific synth best suited for this? Any processing/production tips for the loudness and tone?
SKELETONKIDS

Re: How to make ultra-distorted witchhouse like this?

Post Posted

Both sound like just EQ with slight reverb maybe and distortion. You're talking about the chiptune type synth, right? as for loudness, try 'brickwalling' it with a compressor and then lowering the level to fit.
Hollowhands

Post Posted

Yeah, the chiptune type synth. I've made some progress by experimenting. Still not sure how they make it so loud and distorted without making it muddy, I'll try compression on the master. I've learned that fruity delay 3 can bitcrush if you turn the dry and time knobs down then mess with the sample rate and cutoff, for anyone who didn't know.
SKELETONKIDS

Post Posted

If you are using FL, don't put it on your master but the insert you have that synth attached to. try fruity compressor at brickwall before all the effects, and then a light fuzz distortion. I use camelcrusher myself.
Hollowhands

Post Posted

Thanks, I've made a lot of progress.