(2014 Nov 13) INTERVIEW : ♚SN▲ILS♚ by Equilateral Records (2015)

The Archive is a place dedicated to documenting and preserving the history of Witch House.
yaka-anima

(2014 Nov 13) INTERVIEW : ♚SN▲ILS♚ by Equilateral Records (2015)

Post Posted

https://equilateral-records.tumblr.com/ ... iew-sn-ils

the only one interview to an artist on equilateral tumblr. also tell that since years ago ♚SN▲ILS♚ changed his name on bandcamp to Tragic Shields: https://tragicshields.bandcamp.com

Click to read
INTERVIEW : ♚SN▲ILS♚

Before starting this interview we’d like to let to you know that we did a little vote among Equilateral artists to see who’d we’d like to read an interview from-
Snails has been around in the fam from quit a while now, he’s an awesome guy, very real and centered. We’ve all had a chance to chat bit with Snails from time to time. He’s an awesome and very chilled guy, with attitude and a very real background.
We chose to do interviews every now and then to our artists because we’d love everyone to know our family.
Thanks all of those who has supported us, in any way possible <3
All of you who made this possible.
We are all one.
love is every
little thing

Would you please tell use your name, your age, and where you reside?

Travis (Snails) Shields, im 27 and I live in Brandon (Dead Dreams) Manitoba

Snails have been around since a while, how long have you been producing as Snails?
iv been “Snails” since 2010

What DAW and/or live instruments do you use for Snails?
I record line in with Cubase, my usual hardware consists of:
MicroKorg, MicroKorg XL, Korg R3, Casio CT-470, Casio SA-10, Atari Punk Console, Korg Ds-10, and the Korg Electribe ER-1 Rhythm Synthesizer
Some of the Poverty EP was recorded using Acid Pro.

Your music seems to have a lot of inspiration from sub-genres, kvlt and post-internet influences, how were you introduced to Witchhouse music?
My homie Mo Keachie(Scatterpattern) in like 2004/2005 maybe. It was like finding a home for myself<33

Would you name us one Witchhouse music influence and one non Witchhouse music influence?
GuMMyBeAR, Tears For Fears

How many songs and eps have you released as Snails?
2 EPs, 1 album and 23 songs

What are your non musical influences?Video games.. movies.. ect.

Death and coping with it, my day to day life in general.
Where I live people don’t really care about music, there isn’t any music scene of any form so here most people don’t see making music as anything special.
It is a desolate hole that sucks in creation and I find how desolate it is here is very influential. All of my art is inspired by those old ass arcade shooter games that is why I only use MS paint to do everything.

How did you come into contact with Equilateral Records?
Lucifear<33

Equilateral is all a very spiritual label, what’s your stance on extra terrestrials?
<33

What songs would be on a Snails party mixtape?
Joy Division, Project Pat, prolly 3-6 Mafia, Prayers SD, Samedi, Kontravoid, Real Life, The Units, Futurisk, Daughters.

What kind of music did you produce before making Witchhouse music?
I was a vocalist for a few grindcore bands, but Darkwave has always been where my heart was.

What is your favorite Snails song?
Sky Castles, or maybe Villains Never Rest cause that song has allot of personal meaning to me, the lyrics are about how after my dad passed I never slept as I was living in his house. I would just wonder the streets with this fucked up mental image of running into my dad even though I knew it wouldn’t happen. There is so much strength in darkness<33

Your from Canada. Do you feel that other Canadian Witchhouse has a defining sound?
we all seem to embrace the darkwave or gothwave scene, im not really sure why that is.

What’s your favorite synth?
Korg R3 even thou mine is possessed cause if have an arpegiator goin it will change tempo the whole time. Or maybe the microkorg XL them keys are nice to play.

When you start composing a song, do you have a song writing formula? If so what is the process?
I usually get an idea for a beat then start off making something then start motion sequencing my kicks. Then ill start the synth process of editing new sounds to fit the vibe im feeling. Then I write the synth parts and just go from there. Oh and inhale copious amounts of smoke the whole time.

How long does it take for you to complete a song from start to finish?
It varies like a mutherfucker hahah

Name one movie you would recommend for me to watch?
Canadian made for TV movie Little Criminals

Tell us one thing we would never guess about you.
I used to be sponsored for skateboarding, or maybe that iv had the same girlfriend for 10 years.

So, what does snails have planned for the future?
Making full albums, and waking up everyday.

One last question, our pal Jared Cormie from Nightmares & 808’s wants to know what you like on your pizza?
Prolly like pepperoni n mushroom, or like a buffalo chicken pizza with no onions.<33
:skull: :ghost: :coffin: :skull: :ghost:

Tags: