predecessors

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Re: predecessors

Post by ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ »

To follow up what Anton says, the "Hidden Reverse" (C93, NWW, TG, etc.) were actually into the occult; which the witch house scene at best pretends to be into. I caught a prominent individual amongst us using a wolf's hook rune on a t-shirt without having any idea what it was; or which artist had used it prominently in the past. No big worry, but just an example. Not that there's much wrong with the simple aesthetic fashion side of witchiness, but it's so much more interesting [and fulfilling] to actually have a true interaction with and knowledge of what lies beneath all of it.
Phantasma Disques

Post by Phantasma Disques »

Cosmic (as often there were used slow downed tracks in Baldelli and Loda sets as e.g. Phantom by Sisters of Mercy) and Italo Disco/Soundtracks
Nova Sol

Post by Nova Sol »

ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ wrote:To follow up what Anton says, the "Hidden Reverse" (C93, NWW, TG, etc.) were actually into the occult; which the witch house scene at best pretends to be into. I caught a prominent individual amongst us using a wolf's hook rune on a t-shirt without having any idea what it was; or which artist had used it prominently in the past. No big worry, but just an example. Not that there's much wrong with the simple aesthetic fashion side of witchiness, but it's so much more interesting [and fulfilling] to actually have a true interaction with and knowledge of what lies beneath all of it.
i do get thee impression, though, that there are a few witch house musicians that take the occult somewhat seriously--i get that feeling abnout I†† and you.
I††

Post by I†† »

Yes, and we are very influenced by Throbbing Gristle, Psychic TV and Coil, as well.
Nova Sol

Post by Nova Sol »

I†† wrote:Yes, and we are very influenced by Throbbing Gristle, Psychic TV and Coil, as well.
as a side note, a lot ov your more dronish work reminds me ov ctephin--i recommend you give them a listen if you haven't already.
MNXOM

Post by MNXOM »

Throw some shoegaze in there!
Inte ens natten är tillräckligt mycket natt.
mis†er_elec†ric

Post by mis†er_elec†ric »

Cocteau Twins
Joy Division
Neon Blonde
Crystal Castles
⁄̱̱̱̱̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̆̄ ̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̨̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̑̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̃ṛ̵̵̵̵̱̊ ̧̧̧̱̱̑̆̆·̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣́̊̉̊̉̉̊̄̋⋆̵̧̧̧̛̛̛̛̦̄̈̊̊̄̉⁄̵̵̵̵̵̛̣̱̱̃̄ ̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̛̛̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̑́̄̃̈̃̃̈̄
0hPeee

Post by 0hPeee »

ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ wrote:To follow up what Anton says, the "Hidden Reverse" (C93, NWW, TG, etc.) were actually into the occult; which the witch house scene at best pretends to be into. I caught a prominent individual amongst us using a wolf's hook rune on a t-shirt without having any idea what it was; or which artist had used it prominently in the past. No big worry, but just an example. Not that there's much wrong with the simple aesthetic fashion side of witchiness, but it's so much more interesting [and fulfilling] to actually have a true interaction with and knowledge of what lies beneath all of it.
i've had the opposite impression. most who i've spoken with are at least dabblers... strange. i guess it depends who you talk to.

i was actually recently wondering if there would be demand for a forum section relating to discussion of the occult...
UnISoN

Post by UnISoN »

Krucifix Klan

Salem
mis†er_elec†ric

Post by mis†er_elec†ric »

Boards of Canada
⁄̱̱̱̱̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̆̄ ̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̨̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̑̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̃ṛ̵̵̵̵̱̊ ̧̧̧̱̱̑̆̆·̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣́̊̉̊̉̉̊̄̋⋆̵̧̧̧̛̛̛̛̦̄̈̊̊̄̉⁄̵̵̵̵̵̛̣̱̱̃̄ ̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̛̛̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̑́̄̃̈̃̃̈̄
Pe† Ceme†ery

Post by Pe† Ceme†ery »

For me I've got to throw in a bit of death metal. Opeth, mostly (the earlier stuff). Also Dalis Car, Brian Eno, Missippi John Hurt, John Lee Hooker, Nick Cave. Miserable pop with a dense atmosphere.
teacake

Post by teacake »

• Classic goth business such as Bauhaus, Siouxsie, ASF, Sisters, etc.
• Traditional dubstep the likes of Mala, Distance, Vaccine, Elemental, etc.
• Various synthpop and EBM bands I jammed out to in Highschool...
• Generic, mainstream Hip Hop and R&B on the radio.
iamthesunset

Post by iamthesunset »

I've heard a Stars Of The Lid influence on a fair few WH acts. Especially where the Twin Peaks references (of which there are a lot) are concerned. Also, Sephiroth. The "Draconian Poetry" album in particular.