Looking for GuMMy†Be▲R! high qual

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
BackAlleyLurker

Re: Looking for GuMMy†Be▲R! high qual

Post Posted

If Witch House was just slowed down versions of other songs, I wouldn't be buying it. Ultimately you steal if you want to, but it DOES make sense to support a scene. There's already a lot of it that's given away for free, why not support some releases from the artists that you like so that they continue putting out releases. I don't understant when people say ''there's no sense in paying for music''. be a thief if you want but don't try and say it's your right and paying for something doesn'T make sense.

Why would you pay for using a picture that's not public domain
why would you pay for buying a movie, for a book
because of the work involved
for support
Maybe at some point the artist can gain enough to put out vinyls if you're into that.
Or they get the chance to tour.
whatever

If you don't care enough about one artist or scene then by all mean go ahead steal it.
Pe† Ceme†ery

Post Posted

I buy when I can. If I want to support the artist real bad, I usually refrain from stealing until I can afford it - god knows I love the anticipation of actually buying something to hear it. I may never grow out of that. But I understand that what it does, essentially, is allow said artists to continue what they're doing and reap rewards for good/hard work. Or even better, when the money goes on equipment to do BETTER.

This guy obv ain't a muso 'else he'd understand ;)
✝SLAVERY✝

Post Posted

BackAlleyLurker wrote: If you don't care enough about one artist or scene then by all mean go ahead steal it.
I guess i'm just not as serious about witch house as you then. :cry: i mustve got swept up in all the Pitchfork fever, what can i say?
Anton Maiof

Post Posted

this is depressing. I make music, it is my job, 90% of my income comes from live concerts and DJ gigs. Pretty much every album I've released is available for free on the internet, I would like to believe that when someone does download my music if they like it, they will grab a CD, Cassette or a 12" at some point in the future.

Some months are fine, I can eat and go for drinks with friends. Sometimes I have to make a 49c bag of pasta last 5 days. Those are not nice times.

I cannot stop people getting stuff for free, I do it all the time if I want to check a release out, but I buy a lot of vinyl as well, so I hope it all balances out.

But an attitude of "I don't see why I should pay for things" does effect the artist in a very real way. For example, I can't get sick and cancel shows, in fact so badly do I need the money from concerts I've done a number of performances when I had the flu. Even when my 3 year relationship ended and I was so upset I could barely motivate myself to get up in the morning I still had to travel and perform. A little money from record sales would mean I could take better care of myself. I don't think this is an unreasonable thing to ask.

I'm not sure if this is an overall attitude to "the arts", certainly in the UK I've encountered a lot of people who see making music as not a real job. Also, I've been doing this so long now, before I moved to Berlin I was looking for a regular job so I could save money for the move, I found this almost impossible, to most employers I had been out of the workplace too long. I found a job in a bar which was very badly paid and took a lot of my time. I wrote no music in that 5 month period.

This isn't an anti-downloading rant, this is just me sharing my experience. In fairness people have downloaded my albums and then booked a show for me in their town, this is a great thing, and wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for illegal downloading.

But then there is the other side that people seem to ignore, or worse: simply don't give a flying fuck about.
Phantasma Disques

Post Posted

Seems that some people really got the point. When we decided to issue vinyl it has been seen like going a step further. The production of Inverted Triangle II (including pressing the vinyls + printing the 6 different covers etc) it costs us 3.500 Euros - Especially the cover cards were very expensive - but we want people to have 6 covers so that they can change - and not being assholes selling 6 covers with 6x the same LPs as being known from DVD releases. When yesterday, the day of release IT II was up in the internet, illegally and in a way of a virus spreading all over the world it was only cause we thought, don't let people wait too long and sending stuff out as soon as possible. Failed! So one of these cool guys who thought I have paid 12 Euros for a CDR and I can do what I want with is not simply the coolest guy in the cracker universe - he is simply an asshole ignoring other people lives. Stealing money from a poor, small label. Stealing future. We put 16 hours a day/7days a week in this work and a guy coming along destroys this in a few minutes only. Now think only a second how you look like if someone steals your job and says hey it's only a job - go and work for free, yeah!

Someone remembers the DISARO discussion, if someone stealing your money? This is the other way round - the only difference is that those guys who uploaded only buy to destroy and for their own pseudo honour.

And for those people who think taking images, movies, dragging songs down whatever is the same kind of stealing - It's not! In 90% they were put in a completely new context with creative influence even if it's only a slowed down track and in general case this stuff is often given for free (Mixtapes/Videos/Remixes).