Dubstep V.S Witch House

Technoctopus

Dubstep V.S Witch House

Post Posted

So Ive been showing some Witch House to my friends trying to get them interested but most of them are hardcore Dubstep freaks and they say that Witch House has no energy and takes no talent that Dubstep has tons more energy and that Witch house will never take off I was just wondering some good come backs / arguments that I could use against them.
Also another thing do you think Witch House will be like Dubstep in the terms of it being underground for a long time and rising to mainstream popularity or do you think it will stay underground?
And another question I would like to know from people is would you want Witch House to be mainstream or do you like the idea of it always being underground?
oOoOOoOoooOoooO
symbols n shit

Re: Dubstep V.S Witch House

Post Posted

I think the best comeback to that would be to mock how most dubstep sounds pretty much the same. I mean, I like a lot of dubstep, but come on, the songs are pretty much identical.
cutups

Post Posted

It sounds like your friends are 0 yrs old and an egg.
Technoctopus

Post Posted

I know my most used insult for Dubstep is "It's one song remixed a million times"
oOoOOoOoooOoooO
killsaly

Post Posted

I would probably compare Witch House to Nerdcore... Probably stay underground for a while, have a couple big names that tour, a bunch of bedroom producers of varying degrees of goodness, and a struggle for legitimacy. For nerdcore, there is no common sonic theme (as there is in dubstep, adherence to 140 bpm, wobbles, etc). It is mostly that people like the label nerdcore and give it to themselves.... I mean, Salem doesnt sound like White Ring doesnt sound like MSV... Same with nerdcore, mc chris doesnt sound like MC Frontalot or MC LARS or Benjamin Bear. But with both of those, there are stylistic choices (nerdcore its the lyrics about video games and being a loser, Witch house is dark and dreary.)

So no, i wouldnt really compare the two. Like with what i had to do with nerdcore, I eventually just stopped telling people about it because even the genre name is off-putting to some, same as if you tell someone "Oh I love some Witch House" and they just look at you as if you are crazy.

But dubstep is dubstep. Its a sonically defined genre that is easily beat matched together much like house, or trance, or drum and bass.
WIK/\N

Post Posted

Do they like the "Bomp ,wack,wupp wupp wupp wappa, bomp, wack (repeat)" shit ? ;)
▲▲▲ http://soundcloud.com/wik-n ▲▲▲

▲▲▲ http://wikan.bandcamp.com ▲▲▲

▲▲▲ http://www.facebook.com/THEWIKAN ▲▲▲
Technoctopus

Post Posted

Yeah like I showed my friend a White Ring song and about 30 seconds in he was like " Uh dude does this have a drop or a build up or whatttt cause if it doesn't I don't think I'll like it Dubstep has spoiled me" so I think Dubstep is almost ruining the open mindness of people towards music in general.
oOoOOoOoooOoooO
J<3LLY

Post Posted

Some people are just closed minded when it comes to music whether they cover it with "dubstep spoiling them" or not.
yeah_dad

Post Posted

its not for everyone. i know people who im pretty musically compatible with who will tell me salem and white ring sound like shit. other people i have little in common with musically end up really apreciating salem or other witchy stuff.
attick_dweller

Post Posted

i do see a potential similarity in the developments, depending on how witch house turns out. at the beginning dubstep was actually pretty like how witch house is now, the exact sound & vibe parameters were far less codified than what someone like Skrillex for example represents. in 5 years witch house could have just as common of a structure as dubstep does now.

either way it does seem like any comparison is ultimately pointless, as they are both trying to do different things. witch house has energy of course, but the energy is sent in other directions. i mean, someone really into death metal might say that shoegaze is boring right? people want different things out of music, whether it's cuz they have a closed mind or not, there's no avoiding that.
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post Posted

The fragmentation of electronic music into subgenres is annoying at best. I come from the days when clubs were essentially split between goth/industrial, dance, and then pop. At the dance clubs would be played breakbeat, house, trance, acid, etc. - there were no names to the classes. It was all in the spirit of creating a vibe. Same for the goth/industrial places. Skinny Puppy would be played alongside Sisters of Mercy. Now there's a new name popping up continuously and specific nights focusing on each of these. From garage to two-step to dubstep to...

Side note, I love how "industrial" seems to be no longer used. I hate the moniker "EBM". Saw Front 242 was considered "EBM" on YouTube when I knew them as simply "industrial" back when they were playing live.

Can we stop labeling things and just listen to and create great music?

Of course I say this as I post on a "witch house" forum. :lol:
yeah_dad

Post Posted

I people call shit like KMFDM industrial and other people think stuff like Godflesh is industrail its all really confusing shit. for me i use the word industrial to describe monte cazzaza, coil, chris & cosey, etc. the word gets thrown around alot but nobody is ever talking about the same thing.
cutups

Post Posted

ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ wrote: Can we stop labeling things and just listen to and create great music?
For better or worse, the answer is no. However, i think that while we're able to attach more
names to things than ever, the boundaries between different kinds of music are looser than ever.

Which is a cool thing, IMO.
Technoctopus

Post Posted

Yeah Im not against the sub genre categories I think its very interesting to see what people are going to come up with next and what sort of culture they try and put behind it. In general I think its a good thing it makes people to want to invent new things and try new things that they would not have pushed them selves to do before
oOoOOoOoooOoooO
yeah_dad

Post Posted

even joke categories and categories that are so specific they can only describe one thing are totally fun.