How many Reverbs?

Production, hardware & technical - tips and tricks.
Novaliz

How many Reverbs?

Post Posted

I am confussed about using reverb. Do you guys use one reverb for all instruments or different reverbs for different instruments. And what reverb do you recommend for producing Witch House?
evilsymbolshexentanz

Re: How many Reverbs?

Post Posted

Depends on the sound you are going for. Use your ear and judgement. Most of the time I just use one, but that's just me.
tendernessofwolves

Post Posted

Putting a reverb on multiple instruments can make for quite a muddy mix, so I tend to send multiple instruments to a single reverb bus. As for brands, I really like Valhalla Supermassive and Tal-Reverb4 which are both free.
ɅLUCɅRDɅ

Post Posted

tendernessofwolves wrote: March 25th, 2022, 10:55 pm Putting a reverb on multiple instruments can make for quite a muddy mix, so I tend to send multiple instruments to a single reverb bus. As for brands, I really like Valhalla Supermassive and Tal-Reverb4 which are both free.
This is something I've learned the hard way. That being said my black metal guitar tone I'm using has delay AND a small dark room reverb on it, after the amp sim VST but before the cab sim (for a sort of post-gain effects loop), that is then sent to the master and a reverb send. I also have a touch of reverb on the electronic drum samples (wet is set to below 14% max), but they also go to the same reverb send. The kick can muddy things up though, so its send level is adjusted to taste.
tendernessofwolves

Post Posted

ɅLUCɅRDɅ wrote: May 9th, 2022, 9:17 pm
tendernessofwolves wrote: March 25th, 2022, 10:55 pm Putting a reverb on multiple instruments can make for quite a muddy mix, so I tend to send multiple instruments to a single reverb bus. As for brands, I really like Valhalla Supermassive and Tal-Reverb4 which are both free.
This is something I've learned the hard way. That being said my black metal guitar tone I'm using has delay AND a small dark room reverb on it, after the amp sim VST but before the cab sim (for a sort of post-gain effects loop), that is then sent to the master and a reverb send. I also have a touch of reverb on the electronic drum samples (wet is set to below 14% max), but they also go to the same reverb send. The kick can muddy things up though, so its send level is adjusted to taste.
Exactly. As with the technical parts of creating any form of art, the rules are never so much rules, but guidelines. If it sounds good, go with it. If it doesn't, then you just go back to that initial "rule" and adjust until you get what you want.

Another trick I've tried if the reverb makes things muddy (despite my best efforts) is to cut the lows a touch on the reverb itself so the low frequencies don't clash in the mix.