SLEEP ∞ OVER - SLEEP ∞ OVER (2010)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
zin
ɅDM†N

SLEEP ∞ OVER - SLEEP ∞ OVER (2010)

Post Posted

A1. The Key
A2. Fog Juice
B1. Your World Is Night
B2. Sunspots
NP110 Sleep Over - "s/t" C20

This Austin three piece comprised of members: Christa Palazzolo, Sarah Brown, and Stefanie Franciotti is as fresh of a new band as they come. Featured recently on the sold out Bathetic tape comp "Dark as Night". Sleep Over has a dreamy psychedelic pop/ druggie elctro pop sound that eludes to a sort of ethereal but dynamic minimalism that is as deep and heavy as it is lite and airy. Something beautiful and haunting runs through these four tracks to create a stunner of a first release by this great new band.

LISTEN
https://web.archive.org/web/20100628060 ... on.org/np/
https://sleepoverforever.tumblr.com/pos ... ght-people

Classic tape from Sleep Over. Their sound, defined by ethereal, ghostly vocals laid over slow, dreamy synth lines, psych guitars and sparse beats helped to broaden the definition of witch house back in the day, expanding it to this dreampop territory. Tracks on this cassette managed to capture this eerie atmosphere that was also present in the works of SALEM, oOoOO or Balam Acab, but at the same time sounded so much different. The excellent ballad "Your World Is Night" was soon after that pressed on vinyl by Light Lodge.

Interesting fact: the tape has a credit "shyned by Prrrple" - that was an alias of Kyle Dixon of SURVIVE. I had a chat with him about it and he told me that after SO recorded the tape it sounded really clean. They didn't like it so they asked him to basically dub it out / make it sound more fucked up, "I just put effects on everything basically" he said. He also blogged about it here.

I also talked to Shawn Reed about the tapes themselves - because there are colour variants floating on Discogs - he said that "all the NP tapes come in a few different colors usually, its not an edition thing, I buy stock lengths in a few different colors so all the pressing are pretty mixed up as far as that goes." In case anyone wondered about which version was first or second press.