top 20 most influential

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
randomexit

top 20 most influential

Post by randomexit »

Thought I would ask what yall think are the 20 most influential artists in the witchhouse genre. Like who are the 20 most crucial artists that define the scene or if you prefer the 20 albums?
zin
ɅDM†N

Re: top 20 most influential

Post by zin »

It' s really a tough question. Probably top 10 would be easier. 2010 and 2011 were really incredible in terms of how eclectic the scene was, people were genuinely experimenting. Now most of the stuff is a poor man's copy of Ritualz and Salem, with a cliche satanic spin. From the perspective of someone who was part of the scene since 2010, in terms of influencing both music and visuals (in no particular order):

SALEM
Ritualz
Mater Suspiria Vision
oOoOO
Modern Witch
Fostercare
∆AIMON
Blvck Ceiling
I††
CRIM3S
Silver Strain
Holy Other
PonyBoy
How I Quit Crack
Gr†ll Gr†ll
Mascara
early GuMMy†Be▲R! stuff
the list could go on and on, including labels like Pale Noir, Black Bus and Aural Sects

also the promotional skills of Textbeak and Theway Peoplestare cannot be forgotten, their shows were iconic. Nattymari was also a crucial part of the early years in terms of spreading the word out. Gucci Goth too.
randomexit

Post by randomexit »

yeah this pretty much would be close to my list....might put lake radio up there as a personal fav.
I remember seeing aaimon back in the day live in los angeles as they were local at the time...rad show.
STRFLL

Post by STRFLL »

i gotta agree w u zin on the current state of witch house. no disrespect to anyone but the sound has become so goddamn textbook. reese basses, supersaws, reverbed vox and trappy drums. wish more peeps made stuff like in the old days
churchterror

Post by churchterror »

zin wrote: August 25th, 2022, 2:34 pm It' s really a tough question. Probably top 10 would be easier. 2010 and 2011 were really incredible in terms of how eclectic the scene was, people were genuinely experimenting. Now most of the stuff is a poor man's copy of Ritualz and Salem, with a cliche satanic spin. From the perspective of someone who was part of the scene since 2010, in terms of influencing both music and visuals (in no particular order):

SALEM
Ritualz
Mater Suspiria Vision
oOoOO
Modern Witch
Fostercare
∆AIMON
Blvck Ceiling
I††
CRIM3S
Silver Strain
Holy Other
PonyBoy
How I Quit Crack
Gr†ll Gr†ll
Mascara
early GuMMy†Be▲R! stuff
the list could go on and on, including labels like Pale Noir, Black Bus and Aural Sects

also the promotional skills of Textbeak and Theway Peoplestare cannot be forgotten, their shows were iconic. Nattymari was also a crucial part of the early years in terms of spreading the word out. Gucci Goth too.
agree
+CC and +LOVEDIED
soundcloud.com/frgvm
monomor✞e

Post by monomor✞e »

STRFLL wrote: August 26th, 2022, 12:10 am i gotta agree w u zin on the current state of witch house. no disrespect to anyone but the sound has become so goddamn textbook. reese basses, supersaws, reverbed vox and trappy drums. wish more peeps made stuff like in the old days
despite using those tropes myself at times, i very much agree
zin
ɅDM†N

Post by zin »

monomor✞e wrote: August 26th, 2022, 1:05 pm
STRFLL wrote: August 26th, 2022, 12:10 am i gotta agree w u zin on the current state of witch house. no disrespect to anyone but the sound has become so goddamn textbook. reese basses, supersaws, reverbed vox and trappy drums. wish more peeps made stuff like in the old days
despite using those tropes myself at times, i very much agree
that's why I enjoyed The Wiccan so fucking much, your diverse drum patterns and the play with ambience feel so fresh and so good
monomor✞e

Post by monomor✞e »

thanks man, if you liked that then you like what's coming next ;)
zin
ɅDM†N

Post by zin »

churchterror wrote: August 26th, 2022, 10:20 am +CC and +LOVEDIED
yup, Crystal Castles were huge back then, especially after they started sharing remixes of witch house artists on their soundcloud
randomexit

Post by randomexit »

kind of shocked white ring did not make the list....also @zin have you ever thought about putting out a zine....your an encyclopedia of knowledge on this stuff
zin
ɅDM†N

Post by zin »

randomexit wrote: August 26th, 2022, 6:36 pm kind of shocked white ring did not make the list....also @zin have you ever thought about putting out a zine....your an encyclopedia of knowledge on this stuff
I'm king of shocked I FORGOT about White Ring! Of course, they'd be in my top 5 probably. Funny thing is in the first months of 2010 quite a few bloggers and journalists would describe them as Salem copycats, and were quite sceptic about them, despite everyone loving "IxC999" online. Talking about influence, I'd say White Ring were the reason why Disaro fell apart, or at least they were the first major factor. After that everything spiralled downward for Robert.

About the book - there WAS a plan to do it! This forum actually has a hidden section where an early discussion was taking place about it last year, sort of as a "10 years after". Cosmotropia de Xam, Witchboy, Nattymari, Strange Powers, Aural Sects crew were all involved in it. I wanted to get some other WH pillars involved, and it all sounded exciting and hopeful for a while. But then Witchboy decided he'll do his own thing, on his own terms, and this (amazing IMO) idea of a community effort fizzled out.

I'm really warming up to the idea of writing my own book though, I have tons of materials, unpublished interviews, contacts, I think it could work, I just need time :geek:
yaka-anima

Post by yaka-anima »

my personal top 20. salem / ponyboy / (o)†hers [aka Whi†e] / sypha nadon / I†† [eye double cross] / Dazed Marrow / KLMBRNG /
OKKVLT KɅTT / powwoww/ SISTERS [▼▼▼ S┼STERS ▼▼▼] / Ω╪Ω (sycorax) / LAKE R▲DIO / The Implicit Order / ƔI▲†∆†▲IƔ / Yozef▼K / oOoOO / GL▲SS †33†H / M Y S † ∆ O C C U L † ∆ / Micro Naps / Teehn Bwitches
:skull: :ghost: :coffin: :skull: :ghost: