ZINNN - Folk Songs For The Recently Deceased (2014)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
zin
ɅDM†N

ZINNN - Folk Songs For The Recently Deceased (2014)

Post by zin »

Mix recorded for Cultwave Radio in 2014.

t r a c k l i s t :
Lovedied - ▇✞▇✞▇
Sleep ∞ Over - Come Wander With Me
oOoOO - NoShore
GR†LLGR†LL - 2
White Horse - Let Those Swim Who Can, The Heavy May Sink
Daan Mol - Images Pt. 1
How To Dress Well & Cokc Dokc - How Could This Have Happened?
Xiu Xiu - Lonesome Valley
Among The Bones - Hark From The Tombs
Sleep ∞ Over - The Heavens Turn By Themselves
Estasy - Wild Wants
SALEM - Superstar
GR†LLGR†LL - I'm Gonna Dress In Black
Johnny Cash - Ain't No Grave

I'm a huge fan of Beetlejuice, its vision of the afterlife, and the Handbook For The Recently Deceased that comes with it. So when Cultwave reached out to make a mix for them I came up with this idea of songs that would play during the transition between death and whatever comes next. I knew the title would be "Songs For The Recently Deceased" but while compiling the tracklist I found myself leaning more towards more obscure, outsider-type of witchy sounds that often cross boundaries with folk, lo-fi, ethereal, and droney ambient, which resulted in adding the prefix 'Folk'. At the time I just knew I wanted to open the mix with Lovedied and use GR†LLGR†LL, White Horse and Sleep ∞ Over tracks somewhere in the mix, as they always gave me this otherworldly vibe. Everything else came naturally after that, including that amazing Johnny Cash song for the outro. One of my fav mixtapes I've done.

A few years later Balam Acab took the same aesthetic I curated here and called it downergaze, which led to four (1, 2, 3 and 4) cassettes for Clan Destine Records in 2017, recommended listen if you haven't heard them.