(2010 Aug 13) The Guardian publishes 'Sleeve Notes: The symbol bands nobody can type'

The Archive is a place dedicated to documenting and preserving the history of Witch House.
zin
ɅDM†N

(2010 Aug 13) The Guardian publishes 'Sleeve Notes: The symbol bands nobody can type'

Post Posted

Original link: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/ ... mbol-bands
Click to read
Sleeve Notes: The symbol bands nobody can type

Tim Jonze @timjonze
Fri 13 Aug 2010 15.42 BST

If you can pronounce this guy's name then ... you almost certainly live in Dalston

What was the most productive thing you did this week? Restructured your company's marketing department? Brought clean drinking water to an African village? I like to think I made my parents proud by spending three and a half hours working out how to write ℑ⊇≥◊≤⊆ℜ using Apple Symbols. It's a tough job but someone's got to do it.

It's also a tough blog but someone's got to do it (you're fired – puns ed) and luckily Sian Rowe stepped up to write about the wave of new bands currently forgoing conservative concepts such as letters by creating their names out of symbols. We're talking about the likes of †‡†, Gr†ll Gr†ll and GL▲SS †33†H (don't ask us to pronounce them, please) – as well as MIA, whose recent third album is entitled /\/\ /\ Y /\.

So, is this the "most internet genre of all time"? Or the most unsearchable, anti-internet movement around? Whatever, you lot were quick to join in, pointing out that we'd missed the likes of //▲▲▲\\\, GuMMy†Be▲R!, H∆UNT3D HOUS3 and oOoOO. So now we know.

Tags: