VENGEUR - HEARTWRECKER (2019)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
Vengeur

VENGEUR - HEARTWRECKER (2019)

Post Posted

Greetings. This is my first time posting own music here.

1. INTRO (THE TOWER)
2. RIVEN RAIN
3. COLD CYBERNETICS
4. LIDOCAINE
5. PEARLESCENT GORE
6. ANGUISH IN APHASIA

Bandcamp (free): https://vengeur.bandcamp.com/album/heartwrecker-7
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/0pbORfeN ... hBo0Dc-sxQ

This EP is a love letter from witch house to classic darksynth. First released in 2019, and then rewritten pretty much from scratch in 2021.
The reason I started making music was because I wanted to see how these two genres work together. A totally obscure release, but I'm satisfied with how it turned out.
zin
ɅDM†N

Re: VENGEUR - HEARTWRECKER (2019)

Post Posted

Vengeur wrote: April 30th, 2022, 6:43 pm This EP is a love letter from witch house to classic darksynth. First released in 2019, and then rewritten pretty much from scratch in 2021.
could you share the 2019 version? wondering how much it's different.

I've checked out this release, and here's my honest 5 cents, I hope some of this can be useful. The EP has some cool moments, but your tracks are way too much all over the place in terms of composition. Like you had a good idea, but then started piling up extra instruments on top and in the end it's a miss. There are moments when I felt like 2 tracks are playing simultaniously (i.e. last minute of "COLD CYBERNETICS"), stuff is stacked on top of each other and the vibe suffers. Some of your synth choices are dope, have depth and melody but a fair bit of them genuinely made me go wtf, what are they doing there? The farty bass is a no for me, drums sometimes sound flat and can be fleshed out more (or dropped altogether?). "LIDOCAINE" has a cool guitar half way through.

Homework: listen and re-listen what SURVIVE did on their debut 10", they convey similar vibe I assume you wanted achieve (well, less dark) but ther did it brilliantly:

;)

Good luck, and don't get discouraged with this, hope some of my comments can help to crystalise your vision.
Vengeur

Post Posted

Thanks for honesty, even though I don't remember asking for advice. A lot of time (in terms of composing) has passed since then, and I'm 100% happy with my upcoming works.

I don't see how you connected what I do to SURVIVE to be honest, as those tracks have zero alignment with my goals.
Besides, compare LLR002 with the early work of Makeup and Vanity Set, or perhaps something by OGRE - and you'll see how little value those tracks have. The only moment I genuinely liked is the retrofuturistic break on "The Cave," reminiscent of soundtracks for space movies. And yet such compositions are just painfully minimalistic, as to my liking. Maybe we just seek different things in music.

Cheers, we'll see how it goes.
zin
ɅDM†N

Post Posted

Sorry, I didn't meant to attach any negative connotations to my 'review', apologies if I missed the point. Looking forward to your next productions.