Water Borders - Akko (2010)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
zin
ɅDM†N

Water Borders - Akko (2010)

Post Posted

1. Akko
2. Rome ft. Glasser
3. Akko (Petals remix)
4. Rome (Murlo remix)
Digital bonus tracks:
5. Akko (Chirm Remix)
6. Rome ft. Glasser (Nero's Day at Disneyland clogged metaphor edit)
New 12" from San Francisco's Water Borders. Like Coil relocated to Bristol. UK Bass fresh off the boat, roaming the foggy docks of the northwest coast of America.

Release date: September 20th
Gloomy ritual beats and dark ambient from Water Borders, their first vinyl release with a beautiful artwork by James Nascent. Personally Petals remix stole this release, incredible possessed dubby techno that matches Amitai's deep vocals. I also enjoy the original "Rome", Glasser's vocals are lovely here. Murlo's remix is okay, sounds like pulled from Wireblock/Numbers catalogue from 2008/09 UK-bass era. Stands out too much here, and so does Chirm's edit. Nero's Day At Disneyland would be my 4th pick for the vinyl version, weirdly stripped bass track, feel a bit uncomfortable but I like it.

I also really dig the Boomkat review:
https://boomkat.com/products/akko-ep
Moody, lo-fi Electro Goth from San Francisco's Water Borders, featuring a cameo from Glasser and remixes from Petals and DJ Murlo. After finding it's right speed, 'Akko' gives a theatrical performance of wraithlike incantations and dramatic vocal cadences, yearning to be Jhonn Balance or Ian Curtis in that eternally endearing DIY-style, and backed up with cut-price Vangelis synth plumage, gloomy atmospheres bordering on Black Metal and a sullen, half-arsed bassline lope. It may sound formulaic, even cliche, but the mushed and blurred arrangement is really on the money. Perhaps the closest contemporary comparison we could make is to Altar Eagle, an observation further reinforced with a Glasser's appearance on 'Rome', where the two duet like a black lip-sticked couple on a holiday to Italy, gliding around, sharing a set of headphones and singing along to the most melancholy experimental gothpop. On the flip Petals also make a vinyl debut, adding a 4/4 pulse to 'Akko' primed for the darker discos, next to Murlo's oddly out-of-context lo-fi Garage remix of 'Rome'. Fans of everyone from Silk Flowers and Cold Cave to oOoOO and Altar Eagle should check this without delay.