Hype Williams - Han Dynasty I (2009)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
zin
ɅDM†N

Hype Williams - Han Dynasty I (2009)

Post Posted

SIDE A 5:38 mins
SIDE B 5:06 mins

Recorded by Ras Yehuda Ben Ami and Roy Bundy, London, May 23rd 2009
Image © Denna Frances Glass / Ceylan Projects

http://www.destijlrecs.com/hype.html
Hype Williams is an eighteen year 'relay project' conceived in 2005 by husband and wife motivational speakers Father Ronnie Krayola and Denna Frances Glass. Every three years it's been passed on to someone else to 'look after'. Recordings from the first three years were stuffed into a pinata and will be put out at the end of the project. In May 2008 it was passed on to a heckler called Roy Bundy (Paradise Sisters) who,along with Karen Glass and Bahaama Moutchaka (Arch M) have released numerous CDRs through the Ceylan Projects gallery in London. They have a large rotating cast of deviants they play with live under the moniker 'Bo Khat Eternal Troof Family Band'.

--------------------------------------------------

thanks. put me down for 20 of each single. i'm not sure i fully understand the concept of the hype williams 7-inch. first question is, what does the 7 sound like? second question is, if the recordings from the first three years are in a pinata until 2023, then what is on the 7-inch? third, the heckler and his cohorts from london, they don't play on this record do they? they caretake the pinata for the next three years and then release their own recordings in 2011, is that it? other questions more for my own edification than anything else: how is it decided who subsequent caretakers are? is there a criterion what each set of recordings should be? why is three years the benchmark for hand-changing? does each caretaker create all new recordings, or incorporate what's in the pinata? sorry if i seem dim-witted (not denying i am, just apologizing for making it your problem too), but i guess i have to be able to explain to others what this is if i'm going to trick them into thinking they need a copy, er, excuse me, sell them a copy. it sounds completely strange and fascinating, the kind of thing i go nuts for. if something can make me go "huuuuuuuh?" it's the best thing in the world. so yeah i'm high as a kite right now.

~ yvonne lovejoy

Came back to this single today, and it's crazy how much it fits the witchy vibe of the 2009/2010 era. Very Not Not Fun lo-fi psych with ethereal elements and noisy DIY charm. Trippy blunt music.