Wyrd - Cyclic Ritual (2022)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
WyrdWeb1989

Wyrd - Cyclic Ritual (2022)

Post by WyrdWeb1989 »

Initially released Spring of last year, in a raw state. I have since learned a lot about the art, and picked up a lot of tools to build the sound and polish it up. This is my first real full album, 7 complete tracks with intro and outro for a total of 9. Please feel free to send me your critiques, I could use feedback from people with experience. I'm still very new to this relatively speaking, and I know I have tons to pick up on.

But without further ramblings.. As promised, some of my own original work. I present to you a fully mastered re-release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEXso6fCtK8

Tracklist:
1- Sigil Ov Motion
2- Circuit Golem
3- Activation Ritual
4- Technomancers
5- Transient Words Ov Nullification
6- House Ov The Cyber Witch
7- Ritual Unfolding
8- Pathways Ov The Wyrd
9- Bliss Ov The Void

Mcll

Re: Full album release.

Post by Mcll »

This is very cool. Thank you for sharing it. No real criticisms at this point. We can hear you are experimenting with sounds and ideas, some things work, some things don't. But it's entirely aspects of taste and not skill. Just a general comment, work on your transitions within each track and sound selection. At times they seem choppy maybe too busy/ and some ideas are aborted before they can be fully utilized. Looking forward to what you do next. Cheers.
WyrdWeb1989

Re: Full album release.

Post by WyrdWeb1989 »

Mcll wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 4:41 pm This is very cool. Thank you for sharing it. No real criticisms at this point. We can hear you are experimenting with sounds and ideas, some things work, some things don't. But it's entirely aspects of taste and not skill. Just a general comment, work on your transitions within each track and sound selection. At times they seem choppy maybe too busy/ and some ideas are aborted before they can be fully utilized. Looking forward to what you do next. Cheers.
Your feedback is very much appreciated. Believe it or not, this is actually my first attempt at making music in any real sense. I dabbled in mixing back when I was in high school, but I never had access to music production programs until last year.
I will definitely be practicing though, so this sort of response helps me immensely.
zin
ɅDM†N

Re: Wyrd - Cyclic Ritual (2022)

Post by zin »

I've spent a few days with this album, and my thoughts are with @Mcll here - you display an array of skills on this record, it's the fine-tuning that's still not there yet. I really enjoy your exploration of the horror/synth moods and building the atmospheres on some of the tracks (i.e. in the intro or the early moments of "Activation ritual"). What's lacking for me is being more adventurous with the drums and main synth lines that sometimes are hit and miss (i.e. the lead in "Pathways Ov The Wyrd" feels a bit flat). The middle of the album is the strongest in my opinion - both "Transient Words Ov Nullification" and "House Ov The Cyber Witch" are my personal fav (plus "Sigil Ov Motion" and how it transitions into "Circuit Golem").
WyrdWeb1989

Post by WyrdWeb1989 »

zin wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 4:46 pm I've spent a few days with this album, and my thoughts are with @Mcll here - you display an array of skills on this record, it's the fine-tuning that's still not there yet. I really enjoy your exploration of the horror/synth moods and building the atmospheres on some of the tracks (i.e. in the intro or the early moments of "Activation ritual"). What's lacking for me is being more adventurous with the drums and main synth lines that sometimes are hit and miss (i.e. the lead in "Pathways Ov The Wyrd" feels a bit flat). The middle of the album is the strongest in my opinion - both "Transient Words Ov Nullification" and "House Ov The Cyber Witch" are my personal fav (plus "Sigil Ov Motion" and how it transitions into "Circuit Golem").
Thanks for the feedback on this.
It's interesting that you gravitated to those tracks, in particular. I kind of had a bit of a mess of different things I was working on during the early stages, and ended up choosing to unify it into an album afterwards. Those specific tracks were some of the last ones I actually did in order of production. Activation Ritual used to be very different, but I ended up tearing it completely down and rebuilding it for the re-release. There is definitely lots for me to work on, I'm still just kind of in the beginning of my journey with learning the structures, and working in more complex ideas. But as for this particular album, I couldn't ask for a better review, considering it's my first actual release. These critiques are extremely valuable to me.
zin
ɅDM†N

Post by zin »

I appreciate you taking this in, and hope this help you one way or another on your way forward.
WyrdWeb1989 wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 2:51 amThose specific tracks were some of the last ones I actually did in order of production.
That's really interesting, looking forward to check out your next album that you posted on the forum, will try to find some time this week for that.

Btw. @yaka-anima created a Discogs profile for you and added there a couple of releases:
https://www.discogs.com/artist/11961440-Wyrd-5

Out of curiosity - have you had any other projects or were part of bands, so we can link those on Discogs?
WyrdWeb1989

Post by WyrdWeb1989 »

Nice, thank you! I'll check that out in a second here.

I haven't really been part of any groups yet, though as I've mentioned before, there are plans to do some collaboration with Candle Eater in the near future. My history with making music goes back as far as high school, but I hadn't really done anything with it for many years, until this past spring. That's when I got my hands on a good used PC and some mixing software, and dove back in.
I do have a dungeon synth project I'm working on under the title Gates Ov Thurisaz. https://thursianeneagma.bandcamp.com/music