Trashwave

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
esꙮteria

Trashwave

Post by esꙮteria »

Hello!

I've been a witch house listener for 10 years-ish, and some of my favorite artists include SADWRIST and 666Vandal, who pushed the boundaries of the genre towards more saturated, noisy and fast-paced tracks.
And despite loving their kind of music, I only recently discovered the umbrella term used for this kind of tracks: "Trashwave".

Now, as a genre nerd, I'd like to start a discussion here about how we feel about the term.
Would you still consider it falling under the "witch house" umbrella? Is it a genuine subgenre, or would you consider it only tangent?

Some examples to clarify in case you need it:

:bat: :bat: :bat:
zin
ɅDM†N

Re: Trashwave

Post by zin »

The name sucks a bit, but most new genre names do lol

I do see this as part of the big witch house umbrella, it may be different from your average Russian mainstream take on witchhouse, but nevertheless those tracks do tick a lot of the boxes classic witch house tracks occupy.
esꙮteria

Post by esꙮteria »

Yeah I agree the name kinda sucks, but since this has already been used for several years, it seems to late to try and change it :(
randomexit

Post by randomexit »

@zin Ive allways wondered what your take is on when the switchover happened from the more classic salem white ring kind of witchhouse to the rave like generic russian style witchhouse? Like what year did it happen and what were the last of the classic style witchhouse and who turned it into the newer style?
zin
ɅDM†N

Post by zin »

randomexit wrote: November 16th, 2023, 6:15 am @zin Ive allways wondered what your take is on when the switchover happened from the more classic salem white ring kind of witchhouse to the rave like generic russian style witchhouse? Like what year did it happen and what were the last of the classic style witchhouse and who turned it into the newer style?
My personal opinion (so don't take it as research-based or ~FACTS~), based on my observation, is this shift started around 2013-2014, propelled by the growth of Nightmares and 808s youtube channel, the Russian WH boom, and FB groups - all of which were heavily promoting that style of music.

Personally I also think that one cannot ignore the rise of the EDM trap music that was happening at the same time, the white EDM bro culture that spawned from the remains of brostep and soundcloud hiphop groups. The white bro problem is something that was always bothering me, in a way that the early WH scene was quite diverse when it comes to gender, the involvement of women was often hailed as something that makes witch house stand out among other internet genres that were male dominated. If you look at most of the artists making this cliche mainstream WH sound, they're 99% guys.

Around 2014 I was really sick of this sound which resulted in this thread, and me giving up on this forum for many years. Now I think about it, Edith Underground's 2017 debut mixtape "Teen Witch" released under the name Spirit Bored is what made me come back here and dive deeper to look for interesting artists. I think SALEM's second album gave the genre a new life with a number of sick bands and producers that came after that.

Interesting thread from 2012 that was diving into the change of the WH zeitgeist:
https://witch-house.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1401
esꙮteria

Post by esꙮteria »

zin
ɅDM†N

Post by zin »

esꙮteria wrote: November 16th, 2023, 6:04 pm
From 3:30 onwards is :fire: :fire: :fire:
esꙮteria

Post by esꙮteria »

peklowpeple

Alert Re: Trashwave

Post by peklowpeple »

Hi everyone. I just wanna find a people, who knows how make good music :vinyl: . I'm doing something in between a witch house, a synthwave, a DnB and a hip hop, but I don't have enough experience to fix some mistakes in creating and processing music. If you wanna help me, please write me on this resourse, or telegram - @whoispeklowpeple or insta @hoepleasedontcall. I really need your help!
SES

Post by SES »

Deleted
Last edited by SES on April 11th, 2024, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zin
ɅDM†N

Post by zin »

I just want to say HOLY SHIT, this post above is the reason why forum format is the best for discussions like this. Incredible research, will dive into those artists bit by bit!
Dormant

Post by Dormant »

These are fascinating, I love when it goes from complete chaos into some semblance of structure, and then straight back into chaos before you can get comfortable on many of these tracks. You can tell though that a lot of work went into many of these, despite sounding almost random at times.

I really like the distorted bass, grossly eq'd everything, and glitch fx and tempo manipulation.

reminds me of an album called analog horrorcore, I dont think its part of that scene, but im sure it had influences.
yaka-anima

Post by yaka-anima »

just listened your soundcloud examples, and of course that's witch house. this genre have that thing unique, not all artists have to sound exactly the same. This noisy synth punk reminds me of Sadwrist, or of a more newer artist: Gloomstone. For me is very fun and cool, not too much obscure neither have that perfume of rituals and darkness, but it's for listening when you go for a walk to the park with a pet.
:skull: :ghost: :coffin: :skull: :ghost: